Thursday, March 21, 2013

A trip to the ER Part 2...

OK so here is the second half of my trip to the ER. Sorry it took so long!

Well I entered the hospital on a Tuesday afternoon and did not get to leave until Friday evening. When I went the hospital I weighed 95 pounds. Over the two and a half month span of getting sick and having a flare up I lost fifteen pounds. I also forgot to mention in my last post that my heart rate was elevated as well. I went to Stafford Hospital and I must say between this visit and another visit for something else and taking Emma once, I am pleased with their service. My wait was very short and I was taken back pretty quickly. I explained to the nurses what was going on and they took my vitals and entered in my information. The ER doctor looked me over and asked a few questions. I will say I was not happy with how he kept asking me how I let myself get like this and pretty much said I needed to take better care of myself. Trust me if I was financially able to, I would, but I am not and that's not my fault. I have crappy insurance and health care is ridiculously expensive. I am positive many Americans are in the same situation. Sorry doc, we don't all make your salary!

For the next couple of hours I was poked and prodded and asked a series of questions. I had a double IV ran for fluids for re hydrating me, antibiotics, and morphine for pain (woo hoo!). I had a CAT scan done, which oddly enough just days prior to this I read a blog about another Crohnie (nickname for those of us with Crohns) getting a CAT scan. She described it and how it makes you feel like you have peed your pants when you go through it. And sure enough it did the same thing to me. The nurse was nice enough to warn me of that so had I not read that blog, I would have still been aware. Although I didn't get a room until almost 7 that evening, the time seemed to go by pretty quickly, luckily my parents were there to keep me company. Once I was in my room and settled, David and Emma visited me. Poor Emma was so upset that I wasn't sleeping at the house and I was sick. I assured her I would be ok and I was there to get better. After they left I was ready to sleep. Needless to say though I did not get to sleep until almost 5am the following morning because I was woken up several time for vitals and medicine and I was still in some pain when I had to go to the bathroom.

For the next few days I received fluids and medicine and was put on a liquid and then a low fiber diet. I was monitored by several nurses and my primary care doctor and the gastronlogist at that hospital. My parents were there every day for a few hours to keep me company and then in the evening I got to see Emma and David before they went home. I received many well wishes from friends and family via Facebook and beautiful flowers from David's parents and sister. After the first night I finally did get some good sleep and it was nice to rest. Most of my nurses were good except one but we let the head nurse know about that little issue and my first night nurse was amazing. I started to feel better and by Thursday was ready to go home and rest in my own bed. However there was a slight issue...

My bloodwork was coming back as very low and the doctor was concerned about it and needed to keep monitoring it. On Thursday my blood was still not at the level it needed to be and the doctor started to discuss with me possibly doing a blood transfusion.

UH What??! was pretty much my reaction to that.

I have no idea what about the flare up caused my blood to get like that. Was it from being severly anemic? Was it from being dehydrated? I have no clue. I do however know that the thought of having to get someone else's blood put in me creeped me out and was not something I wanted to do. But this was something that was holding me up from going home. I had to stay one more night to monitor my blood and make a decision Friday. I still don't know what about my bloodwork was wrong but I had more bloodwork done at my follow-up appointment so I should know something soon.

Luckily Friday my bloodwork came back closer to normal than it had been and I was able to go home. I left the hospital Friday evening and boy was I ready to go home! I was happy I got to get the medical attention I needed but I was ready to finish healing at home.  I'm pleased I went to Stafford Hospital and received great care and couldn't wait to start feeling healthy again.

I didn't return to work until the middle of the following week and spent my time resting up. Although I felt better I tired easily when I tried to do anything. I was ready to get my house and life back in order but had to remind myself to take it easy I just spent a few days in the hospital. Since then I have been feeling much better and very happy to be healthy again. Seriously never take good health for granted, trust me it's something that means alot to those of us that don't have it. Thanks again to all the friends and family that checked on me and wished me well during this time, it means alot!

No comments:

Post a Comment