Sunday, March 10, 2013

Yoga!

So I had planned for my next post to be about my trip to the ER and I am in the process of writing it. However I did want to do a quick post tonight on the yoga class I took earlier today. As I mentioned in one of my earlier posts, stress is a trigger just like that list of my bad foods. Many forums on Crohns mention yoga as a way to help relieve stress. I have taken a few yoga classes and they were gentle ones that I enjoyed because the breathing and stretching really relaxed me. That class was offered through the county.

Well Stafford got a yoga place finally!

It's called Stafford House of Yoga, located off of 610. I have seen several advertisements and a friend that has been going there recently and raves about it. So I decided to give them a call this past week and tell them what I was looking for and if they offered anything similar. The lady on the phone was very understanding and helpful. She mentioned two classes that were kind of what I was looking for. One of the classes was offered on Sunday afternoons which worked perfect for me. It is called Restorative yoga class. I was super stoked to go today for some relaxation and ME time. I had no troubles finding the place and it was a quaint looking little building. Walking inside you instantly feel at ease with the decor and helpful staff. For my first time they explained everything I needed to know and where to go.

The class was bigger than I expected, maybe about 10 of us. The instructor was an older lady whose name I can't remember at the moment (eek!) but she had a very soothing voice with a slight sense of humor. There were props for us to use for the class, blocks, pillows, and a blanket. There was nice soothing music and a hint of aromatherapy. The class was 90 minutes long and involved supported poses, stretches, and breathing exercises.

Overall I enjoyed the class, I did feel relaxed when I left, I could have almost taken a nap when I got home. The class was a little longer than I would have liked but I might go again. Some of the stretches kind of hurt my lower back but that could have been because I was doing them wrong and the instructor said if we didn't feel comfortable with the pose or stretch we didn't have to do them. So I didn't feel weird just sitting there until the next pose or modifying the pose. I had the worst time clearing my head too, my brain just would not shut up!

I can say Stafford House of Yoga is a neat little place and I look forward to trying other classes and I am glad I checked it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment